Saturday, August 27, 2011

Seizures and Popsicles

At the nursing home I work at, we have a few residents who are, to put it mildly, a few fruit loops short of a full box.  They don’t have Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, but their perception of reality is not always correct.

Recently, one of my coworkers was caring for a resident when another resident came up to him in a panic, telling him that Ms. Hypo was having a seizure and on the phone with 911.  The aide ran down to the resident’s room and saw Ms. Hypo lying in her bed and talking to the 911 operator.  My coworker grabbed the phone, and after letting the operator know that Ms. Hypo was fine and not having a seizure, hung up the phone.  He then had this conversation with the resident:

Aide: “What’s wrong?”

Ms. Hypo (in a panic): “I’m having a seizure!  I don’t want the nurse because no one out there (pointing out into the hall) will take care of it because all of you are crazy!”

Aide: “Well, just relax for a minute and I’ll go get the nurse.”

Ms. Hypo: “OK.  By the way, can you get me a popsicle?”

There you have it, someone in a seizure who not only can make some sense when talking, but can eat!  It’s a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment